Well we are slowly making headway on the bathroom renovation. I’m happy to report that aside from adding a bit of quarter round to the baseboards, all trimwork and painting is done. Holla!
Purty floors. So much better than the blue tiles we had before.
That’s the linen closet there to the right. We just haven’t put the door for the closet or bathroom back on yet. But thankfully, they already have everything painted and the updated oil rubbed bronze hardware and knobs on them, so that’s just one less thing to do now.
Obviously, the next step is to put the quarter round in on the baseboards, then we can do the toilet and sink install. I’m so ready to see the pedestal sink in there with the faucet I bought.
And you can also see that I decided against the jelly jar lights and went with a single overhead light. This required making the 2 existing electrical boxes that were there for the sconces into duplex outlets, and creating a new box in the center up near the ceiling.
The hubs was not a fan of this option, but it just had to be done. He eventually got over it. And now there are 4 plugs for this bathroom, rather than the one per sconce that we had before. Which is good for future buyers and not really that important for us, since I don’t even use a hairdryer when I get ready in the morning. Air dry all the way.
And in the photo above, it looks like the light is black, but it’s actually a lovely deep, glossy green. I did buy the fixture from Lowe’s that I put into the inspiration board, but I spray painted it Valspar’s Premium Enamel in Gloss Montpeilier Palmetto Green. I used gloss white enamel on the inside.
A few months back, I found a pair of vintage pendant lamps with a beautiful deep, grassy green enamel finish on them that I loved. But they were ceiling mount, and at $60 each, not that bad of a price for antiques, but I just couldn’t justify buying them. The photo below is a good example of the look I was going for.
So here’s what I ended up with:
And the swirly CFL bulb in it now is just temporary. I’ll be replacing it with a globe bulb the next time I go to Home Depot.
Here’s a view of the new tub with the white subway tile surround and the new oil rubbed bronze bath hardware. We still need to seal the grout, so it’s not bathtime-ready yet, but I’m looking forward to being able to have a nice relaxing soak in there soon!
The switch in the photo above goes to the exhaust fan/light/heater unit that was in there before. Rather than replace it, I just removed the light cover, taped off the socket where the bulb screws in, and spray painted it with white semi-gloss spray paint (before I painted the ceiling, of course!). The plastic was a yucky yellowish color before, but other than that, it was perfectly fine, and I couldn’t justify buying a new one (at over $100). The switch needs to be replaced with a new white one, but it’s apparently a special-order item only available online, so it’s still on the list of things to do.
All in all, we are feeling pretty good about our progress. We have all of the hardest parts done, and that is helping us in the final push to finish this project. Aside from installing the sink and toilet, and finishing the quarter round for the baseboards, we still need to stain shelves and mount the brackets for the wall above the toilet, sew the shower curtain, figure out a window treatment (which I will probably end up sewing as well), put the doors back on, buy and install the wall-mount medicine cabinet / mirror, and decorate / accessorize.
We are so ready to be done and have a bathroom we can actually use again!